SIMION 3D is the industry standard Windows-based ion optics simulation program for testing and design of ion optics lens systems. The program is therefore very suitable for design and testing of mass spectrometers.
You can use the software package in order to calculate electric fields and the trajectories of charged particles in those fields when given a configuration of electrodes with voltages and particle initial conditions, including optional RF (quasistatic), magnetic field, and collisional effects.
In this, SIMION 3D provides extensive supporting functionality in geometry definition, user programming, data recording, and also visualization. Instrument designers use it in order to design new instruments and to maximize the sensitivity of the instruments.
SIMION is suitable for a wide variety of systems involving 2D or 3D, static low-frequency (MHz) RF fields: from ion flight through simple electrostatic and magnetic lenses to particle guns to highly complex instruments, including time-of-flight, ion traps, RF quadrupoles, ICR cells, and other MS, ion source and detector optics.
Use this powerful software to study ion source and detector optics in time-of-flight, quadrupole, ion trap and also magnetic sector mass spectrometers, in order to discover improvements that you can make to your instruments as well as to develop new instrument designs.
SIMION 3D Capabilities and Features:
- Electrostatic field solving in 2D and 3D, up to almost 20 billion points (190GB), optimizations for symmetry and mirroring.
- Magnetic field support: SIMION supports magnetic scalar potential, which is identical to the electrostatic case and Biot-Savart wire/solenoid calculations.
- Low frequency time-dependent or RF support: Electrode voltages may be adjusted in a general way during particle flight.
- Dielectrics were added in 8.1.1.
- Particle tracing
- Geometry definition via multiple methods.
- Contour and potential energy surface plots can be displayed interactively and are also a core feature of viewing.
- Viewing of the system is highly interactive, allowing adjustment of parameters and also viewing of the system even during ion flight.
- Data recoding of parameters at various stages in particle flight, in order to screen or delimited text file, for subsequent analysis of fields and trajectories.
- Basic charge repulsion effects in order to estimate the onset of space-charge.
- User programming: During ion flight, you may control electrode voltages, define or modify fields, scatter or deflect ions (e.g. ion-gas collision models), tune (optimize) lens voltages, compute results, export data to programs like Excel via a COM interface, and do many other things.
- Documentation and examples: comes with an extensive 450-page manual, supplemental electronic documentation, example files, and ASMS course notes.
- Package contains a 450-page printed manual, installation CD with software license key number (for receiving software updates), and quick start notes.
- Upgrades: 1 year maintenance upon purchase. Upgrades are electronic downloads from the “Check for Updates” button on the SIMION main screen.
- Support: Includes limited free support via email and phone, and there is a message board.
- Supported systems: Latest versions tested on Windows 10/7, as well as Wine/Linux and CrossOver Mac.
It is an affordable but versatile platform. For over 30 years people are using it to simulate lens, mass spec, and other types of particle optics systems.
Pick your SIMION demo software from their website.
SIMION 8.1.1. what's new
Send download link to:
For more information on Adaptas Solutions, click here.